Re: [Metastockusers] Metastock 8.0 E.O.D.

Hi,

FWIW, I'm more of a hardware geek than a TA guy

Here is the "cheap" and quick resolution, without knowing more about
your system.  Albeit, you will have to either do it yourself, or get
some local help.

A PII 400 is fast enough for viewing charts.  Most of the work is
static aside from running scans/searches.  The I/O bottle neck comes
from the available RAM and the HD speed. Soooo, my quick cost
effective solution is to upgrade the RAM to 256k minimum by getting
another 128 stick, or ideally a 256 stick.  There you will notice a
noticeable improvement on HD I/O - less wear and tear on the system.

Another bottle neck, often ignored, is the video card. So a faster
card, with more mem on the card may help.....  And of course, the
final requirement is the OS.  So... the first step would be to get
more Mem, hopefully yours is a PC133 mem system. To give you a ball
part figure, Staples had a deal for PNY 256Meg SDRAM PC133 for $9.00
after rebates. I think the regular price is $30.  This should be the
first step.

You did not give more details...

HD size:
OS:
Video card and Memory:
Brand of Computer of MB:

You can post privately if you wish.

-= Chris ß =-
On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 23:03:41 -0000, you wrote:

> I just received the 8.0 upgrade. However, I'm reluctant to put it on
> my machine because I fear it may be too slow to run it. I use a
> Pentium II 400 with 128 ram. Will I need to upgrade my hardware before

PS - The slowness occurs from the HD input/output the cache due to
insufficient random access memory.  This is the slowest part of the
computer, a mechanical process.  So "electronic" ram is the answer.
256mb plus the 128 will give you over 384mb, which will "quiet" the
system.