Re: Oh Boy , Oh Girl , Oh God

Theo,
I am just starting on this list and your were the
first message. Interesting observation about what the "pro's" are doing. Have
you read Reminiscences of a Stock Operator. If not it will go a long way in
helping understand what the "pro's" are up to. In reality being a professional
means that they want to make money. Just hypothetically thinking. If the
brokerage house had a lot of shorts they needed to cover would they tell the
public to short / sell these stocks or would they tell them to buy, or hold
them? It's kind of a contrary approach, but if the broker purchased a large
quantity of stock when a company is new, or at a low point. Who does he then
sell them to after they have gone up. In the same regard. After he has short the
market Who does he get to sell him stock for the cover. I would think it would
be the general public. The ones that are being told to buy, hold , or
sell.

Also, If the unknowing are holding and buying a
stock I think this also allows brokers to then loan a percent of those
stocks to the knowing so they can sell short. I think brokers have to
have stocks in there account in order to loan them to some one wanting to
short sell the market. Kind of like a bank needs to have money in its account so
it can loan cash out.  The bank has its set reserve limits on how much
of its customers money it can loan out. I don't know, but I would also think
that a broker would also have a reserve limit on how many of its customers
stocks it could loan out. I don't think that a broker would go to the market
place and by stocks at a high price knowing that the market is going down to
loan you the stock so you can sell short. I would think that the broker would
want to pass this loss on paper on to someone else. I don' t know this for sure.
Maybe someone else in the list does. I think I am thinking about this from the
right perspective. Any comments? Thoughts? Ideas? Where do Brokers get their
stocks to loan to people wanting to short sell the market?
Jerry Medlin
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
  <DIV
  Theo