Re: Right Configuration?

Yes, I've got several dual processor machines.

There are comparatively few applications which
are multi threaded so as to explicitly use a multi processor motherboard to
the maximum. However, what does happen is that you can run one notional
processor flat out on computations whilst the other is handling the data feed/
other applications.  I run TradeStation Pro suite, Metastock and
Ensign on one box - with TradeStation running optimisations most of the time
with no problems - no wating for keyboard entry, screen update etc etc..

As for M/B vendors try Tyan tiger and Asus.There
are many more, but can't say how good they are first hand. You may find that the
max processor speed supported by the motherboard is not the maximum from
the CPU manufacturer. You should also note that not all AMD CPUs are
certified for dual processor use - I know of people who have ignored this, but
beware.  It is only comparatively recently that AMD have had a dual
processor certified CPU so there are comparativeley less MB options than for
Intel.

Have also had dual processor workstations from
compaq , HP and Dell. These have all been excellent. FWIW, I wouldn't
countenance the purchase of a single CPU machine except on a laptop.

In terms of size of box, you'd be amazed what you
can get out of a dual 1 GHz PIII machine.  For 5000
symbols, you'd probably need to  look at a 2.2 GHz machine. Both
should have a minimum of 512 MB memory. One other thought, don't go
for standard CPU fans - the CPUs get seriously hot if they are running flat
out for long periods. I've recently bought GlobalWin coolers - they are heavy
but when the machine is idling the CPU temperature is lower than the motherboard
and when running flat out are about 10 -15C colder than the
previous configuration. However, when deciding on your fans remember
that being a dual cpu machine things are a bit crammed in - so you may not have
room for heat pipes water cooling etc. etc.  Don't buy a cheap
case/power supply either.

Hope this helps.
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr

  <DIV