Re: Parabolic SAR - Wilder's Original Definition

David

> The following is from Equis, confirming what you have been telling me.
> " The indicator in MetaStock was approved By J. Welles Wilder himself so
I'm
> pretty sure it is right. Now it was created has a dll and not the
MetaStock
> language.
> With the MetaStock language it is simply impossible to recreate this
> indicator.  Thanks,  Patrick. "

Sometimes there are ways to do things with the standard MFL that even Equis
aren't aware of, but in this case I think Patrick may be right.

> Roy, you say " there is no problem writing a system or an exploration for
> the SAR. " With my limited TA experience, I see the Parabolic SAR as
> produced by the canned indicator in MS (and working with the variable
> parameters provided) as sufficient for my needs. Could you help me with
the
> bones of an exploration to get me started?

The problem comes in writing a 'profitable' system. As Neo has pointed out
the SAR was never intended for use in an EOD system. The entry/exit points
occur intraday. In a very real sense an EOD exploration is only going to
tell you what you should have done yesterday, and I don't see the use of
that for either of us.

If you were to write an exploration it could be as simple as,
Column A: Long
Cross(C,SAR(.02,.2));
Column B: Short
Cross(SAR(.02,.2),C);

However as I read the use of SAR the actual prices that should be used in a
system test, but can't be because of its inadequacies, are,
EnterLongPrice:=If(Cross(H,Ref(SAR(.02,.2),-1)),Ref(SAR(.02,.2),-1),0);
EnterLongPrice;
EnterShortPrice:=If(Cross(Ref(SAR(.02,.2),-1),L),Ref(SAR(.02,.2),-1),0);
EnterShortPrice;
This code is not strictly accurate either for a number of reasons, but its a
starting point for use with the Trade Equity indicators and explorations

Roy