Re: How safe are our brokerages?

The easist way to see what kind of financial
position your brokerage is in is to learn to read the financial reports and
instead of looking just at the raw #s look for trends that may indicate
problems, like lack of profits / cash flow / large debt coming due with no way
to renew etc. Don't rely on the auditors, take Anderson as an example
there. It is in the accounting firm's best interest to remain the auditor
so sometimes accounting firms aren't as diligent as they should be just to keep
the client happy. But the best indicator (and easiest for people with charting
apps and data) is to take a look at a long term price chart of the company's
stock and see where it is at. If you are in a long term freefall then the
company (brokerage or no) may be in deep trouble.

But all this is moot unless you are planning on
buying / selling their stock because all stock brokerages that are regulated are
insured by the SIPC on cash up to 100K and securities up to 1 Million. (If I
recall correctly)  If you have a futures account, all bets are off so only
use capital you can lose.
Patrick White
<BLOCKQUOTE
  <DIV