RE: System Tester accuracy q (from 23 yrs in mkts)

Irv,

I run both Metastock Pro 7.03 and Tradestation 4, Build 27.  I've done
comparisons on the System Testing capability of both and found them to be
very close.  Not exact, but very close.  I set up tests that generated many
trades (>2000 on 13000 bars--TS4's limit) against the same datafile and
compared the results.

The real challenge is to make sure that your conditions are exactly the same
(e.g. Metastock Enter & Exit on Open, Delay = 1 is the equivalent of Buy
Market or Sell Market in Easylanguage).

Your system tests are going to zero very quickly because you are using $$$
amounts.  This method implicity assumes that you are fully reinvesting 100%
(or 200% on margin) with each trade...not likely in real trading.  I prefer
to use "Points Only" tests to give me an idea of how many points per
contract or dollars per share the system would have generated or ultimately
lost.  You could then export the trades into Excel and apply any sort of
position sizing algorithm (e.g. Optimal F) to your trades to create a
dollarized equity line.

Dave Nadeau
Fort Collins, CO