RE: Windows

Pardon me if I put in some things that I do in using System File Checker. I
will list the steps that I use on my computer which uses Windows 98.
1) Click on "START" button
2) Click on Run
3) In the run Window type in "SFC" either in small or upper case letters and
click on "OK"
This will bring up the Window that allows you to search for bad system
files. Executing it will find bad files. After each one found it asks do you
to update this file? If you put in Yes it will instruct you to insert a CD
with the particular file or you may specify a folder where a good file
replacement exists. It can then replace the damaged file.

In the options you may set it up to inform the user of any files that may
have been changed. For example if you reloaded a program it will replace
many files. After noting each file change, it will ask you to confirm the
update as a valid and good replacement or if you wish to update this file
with a good one. If you wish to replace the file it will ask you to insert a
CD that has this file or you may direct the computer to some folder that has
that file. Upon the next SFC check that file will not be reported as being
changed.

The instructions below on how to use the SFC was copied from the HELP file
in Windows 98.

"Using System File Checker

You can use System File Checker to verify the integrity of your operating
system files, to restore them if they are corrupted, and to extract
compressed files (such as drivers) from your installation disks.

You can have System File Checker back up the existing files before restoring
the original files. You can also customize search criteria based on folder
and file extension.

 to start System File Checker.

Note
You can also start System File Checker by clicking Start, pointing to
Programs, pointing to Accessories, pointing to System Tools, and then
clicking System Information. In System Information, click Tools, and then
click System File Checker."