  To: <A title=metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="mailto:metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 4:27
  AM
  Subject: Re: Lag In Moving Avg

  Jim, Lionel, & All,
  I am reminded of an old saying:
  It's not the size or shape of the magicians stick but how he waves it
  that does the trick!
  J.>From: "Lionel Issen"
  >Subject: Re: Lag In Moving Avg
  >Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 16:06:57 -0600
  >
  >Since the moving average is a summation of a set of values, by
  its very nature it will lag. To reduce the lag we lose information. The moving
  averages in Metastock, and in all or almost all software, are statistically
  incorrect in that the moving average is shifted forward 1/2 period so that it
  ends at the right end of the chart. If you shift the moving average back 1/2
  the number of periods in the moving average, you will eliminate the lag,
  except that you lose any moving average for the last 1/2 period, that is at
  the right end of the chart where you want it.

  >MACD and other oscillators try to overcome this in various
  ways, with some success.

  >Last year there were some formulas posted for zero-lag moving
  averages. I tried them out, and overall the results were poor. Many decades
  ago Curtiss Dahl suggested using a moving average and the same moving average
  shifted either forward or back several periods ( I forget which it was).
  Signals were given by a crossing of the 2 moving averages. I think that the
  MACD and its cousin the PO (price oscillator) are better.

  >Try the different kinds of moving averages that are available
  in metastock. Some may give you the kind of information that you are looking
  for.
  >Lionel Issen
  >lissen@xxxxxxxxx

  way to formulate a way to get the lag out of a moving average.

  > Thanks,
  >
  > Jim Barone

  Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at <A
  href="http://explorer.msn.com";>http://explorer.msn.com