Re: Trending versus Consolidating Markets

Tom:

We are quite in agreement.

 "in case 2..." recently I was looking at a stock (I forget the name) which
had been in a strong uptrend. As is normal, on the way up the price wiggled
a bit, and when it did the price oscillator would turn down giving a very
false signal. I also had the same 2 moving averages on the price chart,
which were both going up and not crossing each other. It took me a few
minutes to understand what was happening. This and the transition phase are
the weakness of the PO/MACD.

I use the % method  with a PO.  The curve is the same shape as when using
the price option, but the results are normalized and tend to give a little
information on the relative volatility of the stock. I haven't made any
serious study of this so I can't say whether it helps or not.

I use longer moving averages as well as short ones.  Try showing a shorter
PO and a longer PO with the same chart. I hesitate to suggest any
combination of moving averages as we have to try out a few and select the
ones that suit us best.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.

Lionel Issen
lissen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx