Re: Windows 2000 + Intel's 64-bit Itanium (was Merced)

It's basically the same old formula.  Unless the application is
compiled using a new 64-bit capable compiler, you're not going to
see much of a speed improvement.  This is where the Athlon has
the advantage.  I don't know how many apps will be
recompiled/rewritten into 64-bits, but I doubt there will be many
(at least for the next few years).  Most software vendors don't
like producing/warehousing different versions of the same
program, unless it's for different O/S's.  Will MSFT have
separate 64-bit versions of its Office Suites?  Will Equis write
a separate 64-bit version of MetaStock?  I doubt it will be
anytime soon.  Video editing and drawing titles will certainly
have 64-bit versions, but I don't see the multitude of companies
jumping into this.  Perhaps they will have both 32-bit and 64-bit
versions on the same CD and it will autoinstall the correct one.
Still, unless there's a huge performance advantage, and ***I have
read it isn't that much***, companies aren't going to pay the
large programming labor cost to write 2 different versions.

Daniel.