Re: Off topic: Computer security and Internet Explorer

Glen,

I guess it were you who gave a reference to a very instructive site

http://home.earthlink.net/~commodon/frame.htm

where one may learn basics regarding Trojans like Back Orifice (remote telecommunication stuff) .
Thanks.

A surprise for  me was that to detect these Trojans all you have to do is to check if your PC is in
"listening" state. The program "netstat" included in standard Win95/98 package does the job. Just
after a reboot (still not connected to Web), run "netstat -an" in DOS window, and make sure the
output doesn't contain a word "Listening"! Then you are OK.

If I am not mistaken, one thing worthy to mention is that all Java/ActiveX applets are CANNED
programs in contrast to stuff like Back Orifice. The former can only do damage its creator had in
mind, including, of course, an ability to install whatever program, Back Orifice including . But
with Back Orifice or similar telecom code, you give a hacker a full control over a computer who can
improvise on your PC like a jazz musician <g>.

Cheers, Vitaly