Re: Can I keep my 'ems'??

The Windows 9.x OS does not require these lines to be present in the Config.sys,
as its version of the Himem.sys includes an Expanded Mem Manager.

>From this than, can tell that your Config.sys line originates from a program(source)
other than that of your OS, eg Windows 98(OS).
Do try to find out (try its source) why this line has been placed there in the first place
and if it was not possibly placed there superflously, eg by that source's program or
from an previously installed-not-used-anymore-DOSprogram and if it therefore,
already, cannot be removed anyway.

A Save-way to try this and for its latter functionality is:
(after you have first copied the file to a file named Config.bck, eg the backup copy)

In the Config.sys file place the word REM upfront the entry-line, eg in NotePad
commend out (disable) this line by the DOS-batch's REM(ark) function
(in a SYS-file you can also disable this line by putting a semi-colon upfront),
eg type

REM device=c:\windows\emm386.exe x=a000-f7ff noems

or

; device=............

next, leave it there for a couple of days, and when your DOS programs and PC
seem to act + behave normal when all of your DOS-programs are called upon/running,
then (roughly) none of your DOS-programs are using the Expanded Memory Service
and its manager (the EMM) any (in this) way.

A quite common line for a DOS-program's EMS-usage via the Config.sys is

devicehigh=c:\windows\emm386.exe ram rom

where this line is always to be placed on the next line AFTER the HIMEM.SYS gets
loaded, eg loading the EMM this way is always done by placed its line on a line
next BELOW the line containing the load command for the HIMEM.SYS.

Thus also, and in general, any DOS-program will not use the EMS-service in the way
that it takes place in your line.

And as is also noted above, all the Windows 9.x Operating Systems, by WIN9.x standard,
do not require the EMM386.EXE or HIMEM.SYS (references for loading at Start Up)
to be present in the Config.sys anymore, eg for as the 9.x OS's already loads the HIMEM.SYS
prior to running the Config.sys + AutoExec.bat at Start Up (eg files that are used by OS for
-programs will also than run quite normal when run from a DOS-box, eg thus in Protected Mode.

Regards,
Ton Maas
ms-irb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dismiss the ".nospam" bit (including the dot) when replying.