Re: Avoid problem new PC

There is a lot of misinformation posted here so I thought I'd clarify this thread.  From my own experience, 1.  I suggest you buy a BX or GX chipset based motherboard.  I have an ALi Alladin V based chipset with my AMD K6-2 350 and it's plenty fast.  However, I no longer recommend any chipsets other than Intel's.  I am still having problems with my tape drive and also with QP2's Virtual program.  For reasons I won't elaborate here, I think one or both problems are attributable to the non-Intel chipset.  I have been told by Microsoft tech support, because Windows 98's memory routines/structure are different from Windows 95, that also may be the reason why I am having problems with QP2's Virtual.  I am not going to do any more testing to find out. If you can only afford a Celeron CPU, buy a Slot 1 to Socket 370 converter.  Do not buy a socket 370 board.  Sooner or later CPU prices will come down and you will be able to substitute a Pentium III. They only cost $20.  Celerons basically have the same architecture.  The only difference is that the Celeron has a 66Mhz front side bus and a 128K level 1 cache.  In most cases, these factors do not make a difference. 2.  If you want the fastest performance in your video, wait until the newer Intel chipsets come out with the new 4x AGP spec.  Otherwise, you can buy the new nVidia TNT2 Ultra or TNT10 in October.  This is really for gaming.  Stock analysis really requires very little CPU and video board bandwidth compared to what is available today.  Creative Labs and Diamond Multimedia make good TNT2 Ultra boards. 3.  If you want to do the absolute fastest stock database searches you possibly can, then there is only 1 hard drive solution for you:  SCSI/UW2.  Buy a motherboard with it built in.  The SuperMicroP6SBU at $320 would be a good choice.  For a SCSI/UW2 hard drive, expect to pay at least $340 USD for an IBM 9.1GB U2W at 7200 RPM and $600 for 10K RPM.  If you cannot afford the premium, buy the new $330 Western Digital 18GB UATA/66 at 66MB/sec and 7200 RPM and a 66MB capable motherboard.  COMPUSA had this HD on sale for $270 with some other free hardware.  The best BX chipset based motherboard is the ABIT BX6 2.0.  It should also be 66MB/sec HDD capable. 4.  For memory, if you want the fastest performance, as long as your C:\WINDOWS\Win386.swp file is larger than 0 bytes, you should add memory.  Windows 98 is a memory hog compared to Windows 95.  You should have around 192MBs.  If you have less, Windows 98 will use the swapfile and you will wait for memory to be swapped out.  Memory is so cheap now, you can buy 192MBs of high quality Micron 8ns memory at $150 (1-64MB & 1-128MB). The most important thing to remember is to buy name brand items.  If you buy a clone, you will not receive regular driver updates and little, if any, tech support.  I suggest you either have someone build your system or buy retail boxed items.  This is especially true for your hard drive, since it is the most delicate component in your system. Increasing your memory a few MB's will NOT speed up your database searches for one very simple reason:  Your stock database is at least 200MB's!  The ONLY way you can accelerate your database searches is to speed up your HDD.  SCSI/UW2 @7.2K or 10K RPM is currently the fastest HDD technology available.  It also costs twice as much.  A HDD's speed is measured by its average access time (track to track) and RPM (latency).  While 66MB's IDE drives appear to be nearly as fast, this is not the case.  SCSI/UW2 drives are faster.  If you want more details, go to the Adaptec site for infomation.  They had an article comparing SCSI and IDE but I cannot find it now. If you do buy the IBM SCSI/UW2 10K RPM HDD, make sure your system has plenty of cooling.  10K is 2x faster than standard IDE HDD's so I assume it will run HOT.  ATX cases, unlike AT cases, have a poor design for cooling.  Air comes in through the front bottom and also the rear top where the power supply is.  This means the hot air will stay in the case and circulate at the top.  Last week I removed all the components, used a Dremel tool to enlarge the plastic grill slots on the front, cut out a hexagon in the metal behind it (in front of the 3" front case fan), and cut a 3"x4" rectangle underneath where the HDD sits.  Most importantly, I cut out an octagon at the top of the case (the case cover comes off in 3 pieces) and installed a 3" fan there with upper and lower 3" chrome fan guards.  This Martinez custom cooling system I created enables cool air to enter through the front bottom of the case and exit through the top.  Since hot air rises, this is a perfect cooling solution.  The top of my case, all of my drives, and even the CD's and floppies I insert no longer get hot. Hope this helps, Daniel.     Nicholas Kormanik wrote: You folks haven't mentioned what will happen with MetaStock 7.0, when ever that comes out.  Maybe it will be able to avail of more RAM, etc.  Perhaps buying a machine only thinking of using MS 6.5 may short change yourself when the new version arrives. Incidentally, I increased my RAM from 128 to 256 megs (in Win 98, PII 350, ultra-EIDE), hoping that the explorations would be faster.  Appears that absolutely *nothing* is faster, still crawls along in exploring 9000 issues, taking about 15 minutes for a single exploration.  I think my solution is to weed out securities, and end up with, say, 3000 or so. Nicholas