AW: Formula for Optimal f needed

  • To: <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: AW: Formula for Optimal f needed
  • From: "Andreas Grau" <agrau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 14:14:08 -0700

Rudi

> >I am looking for the algorithm for calculating
> >Optimal f in Excel. So if somebody could help
> >me with either the formula or even the Excel-code

> Are you looking for a special indicator "f"? Or are you talking about
> general optimization setup in Excel?

<Quote On>

Optimal F is a money management concept introduced
by Ralph Vince in two books, Portfolio Management
Formulas: Mathematical Trading Methods for the
Futures, Options, and Stock Markets (Wiley, 1989) and
The Mathematics of Money Management: Risk Analysis
Techniques for Traders (Wiley, 1992).

<Quote Off>

I found this explanation somewhere on the web. Optimal f seems to calculate
optimal position sizes based on previous results from your trading system.

> >I just bought the
> >Metastock file library and I'm looking for some
> >clues on how do it best - round and angular wheels
> >have already been invented, I would rather not invent
> >them again.
>
> Is this an Excel library of MetaStock indicators? Where did you get
> it? - And let me know, if you have special questions on e.g. model
> setup, optimization, etc in Excel.

It's a library to access metastock data from within VBA. You find the MSFL
on the Equis-Site (you have to dig deep - it took me several minutes to
find it)

Andreas