Real virus alert!

All,

http://news.excite.com/news/r/990610/17/net-computers-virus

Be aware, the ExploreZip virus is very real. Briefly, do not execute any
file named zipped_files.exe attached to a mail message. This is an
executable disguised as a self-extracting zip file. It writes a rouge file
in your system directory named explore.exe and then adds a run call to the
registry on NT or to the Windows.ini file on Windows 95. It then deletes
files with a number of standard file extensions, like .doc, .xls, .c, .h,
.ppt. Whenever you read a mail message from ANYONE, it sends a return
message to that person, with a copy of the zipped_files.exe attached and
beckons them to open it.

This means that anyone who is infected that reads a mail message from you
will inadvertently send you a copy of the virus. Opening the mail is not
dangerous, but executing the attached file is deadly. If in doubt, delete
the mail unopened. If you execute the .exe, you will lose files and must use
an anti-virus program to clean infected files.

Excite posts the following info on the virus. I lost months of work today.
Our online backup is great, but having the drive mapped at the time of
infection means that the virus continued to search all mapped drives for
file deletion, even over the network.

James (backing everything up NOW) Johnson