RE: Bull/Bear Spreads?

Guy:

I've traded equity and index spreads in the past with limited success. At
the time I was trying out "textbook" call and bear spreads. I remember I
tried it out on Iomega and the stock shot 30 points past my short call. I
left a lot of money on the table because of that.
I've since come to the conclusion you need commit to the trade one way or
the other. I've noticed that inefficiencies in option premium usually don't
last too long. If you are fortunate at the time to exploit one, it should be
an instant winner. With the recent volatility in internet equities, I've
started to sell near month deep OTM puts and buy them back when premiums
shrink. However, I've recently noticed that put premiums on those stocks
have shrunk. Looks like a setup for a late summer rally.

I look at the recent volatility of equities and determine the OTM strike I
feel would be safe to sell premiums. The hard part is knowing when to close
your position for a gain or loss.

Thanks,
Marshall M. Liu
Senior Systems Analyst