Re: Buy-Sell Stops

I can make a comment on your inquiry.  I use Brown & Co. and I trade three
different accounts.  I placed a sell order on a stock that was not in that
particular account, and when I clicked the submit button, I received a
screen message stating Stock not in account to sell.  I have also placed an
order (in the wrong account) to cover short, and got the message no short
sale in account.

Al Taglavore

----------
> From: Vitaly Larichev <vitaly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Buy-Sell Stops
> Date: Friday, May 28, 1999 12:23 PM
>
> Steve, Guy, others,
>
> For the sake of clarity want to put the question in other way. Let's
assume I place an
> order on-line (to exclude any other party to blame for my own mistakes),
and in a rush
> filling an order form, I mark "sell"  instead of "buy" some X shares of Y
company. Note I
> don't own a single share of that company at the moment of placing the
order. Mind also
> that an another option to choose from in the order form - "Sell Short",
hasn't been
> marked. So, you guys, are you saying that this is a common/legitimate
practice at
> brokerage firms to consider "Sell" order of stocks you don't own as "Sell
Short" order
> even though the filled by me form doesn't explicitly shows it as "Sell
Short"?

http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html