Re: Metastock and Elliott Waves

I've been using Elwave end of day (EOD) with Metastock since Jan/99.  I still
rely on Metastock trading systems for B/S signals.  But when I'm sorting
through securities for buy signals (Metastock), I use Elwave for determining,
where in the Elliot Wave, is each buy candidate.  Sometimes, I can determine
from Elwave that I'm in a wave 5 when a buy signal occurs, which tells me to
avoid or buy with the notion of taking a very quick profit.  Elwave EOD
frequently gives you several alternatives from which to analyze.  The correct
one always seems to be forming, but it may not be obvious which alternative
is the correct one.  You can look at the alternatives for several stocks in
the same industry or the industry itself, and see which ones appear to be
common with each other.

You could perform the analysis by hand.  But it would be extremely time
consuming for 30+ securities.  The EOD version of Elwave is really more
geared for the higher wave degrees.  I think the approach of Robert Miner
(Dynamic Trader) is more appropriate for daily analysis.

If you are a competent Elliot waver, then when you are confused, Elwave will
be confused.  But it will show you the possibilities very quickly.  I think
Prognosis would be very smart to set up an Internet mail list for Elwave
users.  I suspect that group of users, would be able to share knowledge about
both the program and the Elliot wave that would profit the mail list group.
(I've suggested this several times to them)

The bottom line, I'm satisfied with it, but I still rely on Metastock/trading
systems as my primary analysis tool.  My skills with Elwave are still
improving....

Why Elwave over some of the others.... Price.  In addition, you can set up a
manual count in Elwave which I somtimes do. (Much better than paper graphs)

As far as using Metastock for identifying waves, use a 5/34 histogram for
finding wave 4, the end of wave 3 and help with identifying wave 1/2 which
apparently Advanced Get uses extensively.  You can write
explorations/templates/experts, etc. with this indicator.  (e.g. explorations
to find the peaks and troughs of the 5/34 histogram).

The version of the indicator I use in Metastock 6.52 is:

Mov(OscP(5,34,E,$),5,S)

-150 days minimum of data.

The peaks of the histogram help identify wave 1, 3 and 5 and troughs for wave
2,4.  Use Metastock line studies (both trendlines, channels and fib
retracements) for additional  wave identification/analysis.
Of course you can label the waves with the text box

Good Luck
Kevin Campbell