From: owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Steve Karnish
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 1999 8:04 PM
To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: CFTC Strikes!

Gee Glen,

Sorry to disagree.  I believe the textbook definition is more like:

	"A CTA is an individual or organization which, for compensation or profit,
advises others as to the value of or the advisability of buying or selling
futures contracts or commodity options.
	Providing advice indirectly includes exercising trading authority over a
customer's account as well as giving advice through written publications or
other media.

Registration is required unless:
(a) You have provided advice to 15 or fewer persons during the past 12
months and do not generally hold yourself out to the public as a CTA or
(b) you are in one of a number of businesses or professions listed in the
Act or are registered in another capacity and your advice is solely
incidental to your principal business or profession."

There are exemptions for "investment advisors" also.  Check with your
state.  Investment advisors that control less than 20 million are regulated
by the state they do business in.

Steve Karnish
CTA
----------
> From: Glen Wallace <gcwallace@xxxxxxxx>
> To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: CFTC Strikes!
> Date: Tuesday, May 11, 1999 5:22 PM
>
> Dave:
>
> I am far from the most qualified here, but I can handle your first
question:
> Commodity Futures Trading Commission.  They have a website at
> http://www.cftc.gov/
>
> Your second question: not only can I not dispense investment advice, but
> offering legal advice is a no-no, too.  Poke around the CFTC website and
> when the time comes, talk to a lawyer.
>
> Regards.

BINGO.