Re: Off topic: memory vs resource

Glen Wallace wrote:

> MemTurbo will tidy your RAM, but will not free up User resources or GDI
> resources.  They have a 30-day try-before-you-buy version at
> www.memturbo.com
>
> The other solution is to increase RAM.

When I saw Glen's post regarding memory limits, it reminded me of some
information that I picked up off another user group recently where a similar
problem was being discussed.  Any of us who have a data feed or streaming
internet running, and several other programs simultaneously face this everyday.
It contains directions to increase your system resources by changing your
hardware status from its current role to Network Server.  I have no experience
in this per say, and instead would like to solicit comments from anyone familiar
with it.  I do have experience, as we all have had, in memory limits, and I have
come to understand that System Resource is different from RAM, and often the
culprit when having problems.   Here is the text from a message for your
consideration on this problem:

> To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I'm not sure if it was mentioned in the one post but changing your server to
> NETWORK will increase your system resources tremendously.  Mine went form
> approximately 25-30% back up to approx. 50-60%.

> To change to network server:
>
> Right Click MY COMPUTER
> Select the properties option
> Click on the performance tab
> Click on the the File System Button
> Change the setting from the Typical role to NETWORK
> click ok
> click close
> click yes to restart computer
> Once the computer is restarted changes will take effect and you will be
> amazed the difference in system resources
>
> Hope this helps. Would have respnded sooner but was ou this evening.

I would suggest that anyone unfamiliar with the consequences of such
alteration--like me-- wait before trying this for advice from those with real
experience....just in case.

Mark Scheier