Re: Trading Futures

John,

I spent two Dow Jones/Telerate seminars attending only workshops that
focused on futures trading.  I studied the workbooks provided, poured over
countless futures charts, asked countless questions. Listened to other
traders describing trades, time set ups, etc. while others enjoyed Las
Vegas.  After a bit over two years, I made my first trade in live cattle
and it was a very sucessful trade.  Next trade was on Globex trading the
Swiss Franc.  Netted a tad over $700 in less than 30 minutes.  Then I spent
the next year paying the tuition and understanding all that I had listened
to but had not learned.  Found I could trade the Bonds and the DM
successfully because of pattern similarities and focused on learning the
nuances of these two futures.

When the Bond went to 127 and the Euro would soon be making it's debut, my
trade opportunities were not commensurate with the risks involved and
started looking at certain types of stocks.  Found I could use the same
methods I used in Bonds and DM and make more money easier.

A major lesson I learned trading futures is how to take a loss.  Futures
will teach you this.  With futures, there is the long side and the short
side.  There is no side called "hold" as in stocks. ( Was once taught that
a hold is simply a long trade that went bad.)  Let a $225 profit turn into
a $4387.50 loss on a British Pound trade.  Took 702 points ($6.25 points)
to teach me the pain of not taking a loss.  That was a defining point in my
trading.  From there, I learned what I had been taught, know that
preserving capital is my primary objective, and my job is to manage risk.

I read oh so many posts on this list about entry and predictions at to
where a stock or the market is going.
I also read where 90% of all futures traders lose money.  With all of the
technology and information available today, these are the same statistics
that were cited 20 years ago.  It is one thing to analyze and another to
trade.  Futures will teach you this.  These are my lessons learned.

Al Taglavore

----------
> From: John Manasco <jmanasco@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: Metastock List <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Trading Futures
> Date: Saturday, May 01, 1999 8:26 AM
>
> Al
>
> How did you learn futures trading? Did you just pick up a book and start
> reading? Did you have a mentor to help guide you or a broker to teach you
> the ropes? A friend to share ideas with? I've been investing in stocks
for
> about 10 years and for the last two my focus has been in trading options
and
> some of the spreads I use would be easier using futures instead. How does
> one make the leap to futures?
>
> John Manasco

S&P
I'm