From: owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Chuck Engstrom
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 1999 5:08 AM
To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: OFF TOPIC : VIRUS WARNING !

At 11:11 PM 4/26/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Rajesh
>
>As someone who came late to the party, I finally got around to upgrading my
>anti-virus protection around the time of Melissa.  Now I download a new
>anti-virus database weekly.
>
>I am probably living in a dream world, but I try to keep the AV current and
>I don't open e-mails or attachments unless I know the sender.  I will
>usually keep them unopened for a while and try to determine who sent them.
>might open them once I know who they are from.  I'm just a little paranoid,
>but I also back up nightly via the Internet to a backup server in London,
so
>I'm never more than 1 day out of date.  Cheap to say the least.  The last
>time I lost my system, it took me almost 3 months to get back to speed.  On
>the occasions I needed to restore, it worked like a charm.
>
>Regards
>
>Guy

That an e-mail came from a friend is no assurance of safety -- one of my
oldest and closest friends, whose computers I take care of, sent me two
copies of HAPPY99.EXE, which had come to him, it now appears, from a friend
in Africa, who got it from who knows where. I never "executed" either of
them -- his e-mails didn't tell me what it was about, and I am wary of
executables. He got stung and I didn't, but that's too close a call for me.
The person who sent it to him did send out a subsequent post on what was
going on and what to do.

Guy -- care to share your anti-virus protocols with us -- which you are
using, and has it caught anything??

Chuck Engstrom