From: owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Manuel Barquin
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 1999 8:19 AM
To: Metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Building blocks - Trend channels

Adam: Thanks for your two messages on standard deviation channels. The
channels that I see on the Metastock left tool bar is the Raff Regression
Channel button which I do not kow if this one is similar to the standard
deviation channel. From the MS help "A Linear Regression trendline is used
to construct Raff Regression Channels (see Raff Regression Channels).
Developed by Gilbert Raff, the channel is constructed by plotting two
parallel, equidistant lines above and below a Linear Regression trendline.
The distance between the channel lines to the regression line is the
greatest distance that any one high or low price is from the regression
line". Anyway, I am going to review (study)  my statistics book. Actually,
what I was trying to do is to build up a standard deviation formula which
will be included in the Metastock system tester, but before that, I was
surprised to see that if I plotted the standard deviation formula contained
in Metastock........

SYNTAX stdev( DATA ARRAY, PERIODS )
FUNCTION Calculates the predefined Standard Deviation indicator.
EXAMPLE stdev( CLOSE, 21 )

..... the standard deviation representation curve is very distant to the
prices. Anyway, I might be wrong,  but I was assumming that standard
deviation prices were located near to the prices (1 or 2 standard
deviations). I better have to re-study my statistic's book, and then, I
might contact Jim as you suggest in your message (according to one of his
last messages he will be out of town for a couple of weeks).
Thank you for your help,

Manuel Barquin