RE: Excel and MetaStock

A rather "clunky" of doing it was posted in 1997 (copied from my previous
e-mail software):

>To: bmccall@xxxxxxxxx
>From: "Harley Meyer" <Harley.D.Meyer-2@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: New User Question re. MS to Excell
>Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 14:23:07
>
>Been there done that. It's a trick. The stocks you want in Excel move to a
>seperate folder. Make a custom indicator called the close of the close.
Drag
>that into MS. Change the line to be as thick as possible. Close and save as
>smart chart. Reopen but this time now go to options and select load 1 day
>display one day.
>
>Now select the 1 day price bar. Use the tab to move to the close (custom
>indicator). You have to watch the status bar at the bottom. Once selected
go to
>the menu to copy. Then go to Excel to paste special. Then link. then CSV.
Done.

> hope you get the point. Then don't forget to add the new subdirectory to
the
>downloader.
>

>On Thu, 07 Aug 1997 15:09:26 +0500,
>bmccall@xxxxxxxxx wrote...
>>I asked this question on CIS and didn't get a reply so I hope those
>>members on this group who sucribe to both aren't put out.
>>I have a program in Excell that needs the last closing price of the same
>>stocks I use in MS. I know how to cut and paste but I would like to link
>>the last closing price in MS to Excell. I am not lookink for the entire
>>price history just the last closing price.
>>Help
>>Thanks in advance.
>>Dr.M.
>>

>Harley Meyer
>meyer093@xxxxxxxxxx

There is another way of doing it without moving the data to another
sub-directory. This involves having your default Smart Chart having the
Close (as mentioned above) in a separate window. This data can then be OLEd
across to your excel spreadsheet. With this method, you obtain for each
Ticker Code 2 columns of data being the most recent 1,000 days of Date and
the Close. You can then use the last row of data which will be the most
recent Close, or in the case of those Ticker Codes where there is less than
1,000 rows of data, you can use the excel code eg:
=VLOOKUP(NOW(),'C:\EXCEL\[PORTFOL.XLS]Prices'!A3:B1002,2)
Where:
"Porfol.xls" is the name of your Spread Sheet
"Prices" is the name of the Work Sheet
!A3:B1002,2 is the data from Columns A and B (A being the Date Column and B
the Close Column)

>From time to time, the OLE causes a bit of a problem as mentioned in recent
posts. In those instances, you may have to delete the Smart Chart in the
MSSMART sub-directory to get it working again.

As an explanation for the reason why it is exactly 1,000 rows of data, here
is a post from Equis dated February 1997: