Re: Excel and DDE link -- Help!

You can do this as a workaround:

Like myself, keep a single folder containing the MS's dat/dop/master/emaster
files for the especially for this occassion created OLE Charts, eg I have this as
addresses map build-up, and it also being part of my MS database folder setup:

C:
 -  /Ms
 -  /  -  /AexOptie
 -  /  -  /        -        /OLE
 -  /   - /Local-A
 -  /   - /Local-N

The OLE folder holds:
- all the MS database files mentioned above(dat/dop etc. files) of the most
            frequently used Stock and Indexes(my hottest 'stocks')
- holds any of the specialy especially for this created OLE Charts (Close Only)
- holds the OLE-template (Close Only) should I wish to create more
            of the Close Only Charts).

As the OLE Link's first cell in Excel always start of with the very first date
(=record 1) found in a Metastock database(dat/dop etc. files) and for this then
you are also stuck with and in using this first Record(=Row). So for the data
base files find yourselves a proper  -manualy-  Date maintenance schedule, eg
like myself deleting once a month the then older then 2 months  -but now not
required anymore-  records' rows in the Downloader.

This latter is a bit tricky, tho, as when you use a sequence like I have mentioned
in the previous mail, eg taking each 20min data out of a 5min continuous data feed,
and also upose to like how I am using this OLE linking myself, eg having Excel doing
some calculations only on the last 2 months of data.
I can sometimes then get caught when there has been an Exchange working
holiday, and will then either have to Add+Copy the previous day's values in
the Downloader (eg change the previous day's txt files and change all of the
dates before starting a Convert-session) or re-arrange the Excel sheet accordingly
eg manipulate some of the cells places in the sheet or tweak the cells formula a bit.

So the first date in the database will be presented as the OLE linked first cell, and
as long as you can keep controll over this "first display", eg the right data being used
for the right first date/time, and also Selecting the right (greater then is required) amount
or length of Rows down the column before you Paste Link, then any other problems are
"naturaly caused by yourselve".
The length of Selected cells down the column, prior to esthablishing the Paste Link,
determines if you will have problems for displaying the last dates in the database, eg
2 months of data is roughly 50 Rows of cells that needs to be Selected in a single
column only, and best then is to Select 100+.

Now by splitting the and reference linking to the OLE Linked cells, then the sky is the limit,
tho I should say that not all calculations can be performed in Excel, it is also a computer
program, like many others, and does have its limitations as well.

regards,
Ton Maas