Re: Improving the system (Downloader)

Lionel and Ed, thanks for the info on TAS.
And also Dan, G.G., Guy & all for the test-run reports.

Anyone is free to supply data using the common ASCII-TXT or ASCII-PRN or Excel-XLS etc.
as the file type format for the data file's type, with the possible "copyright restrictions".
For the file's contents (the data), royalties go to the Exchanges and this is depending on the
type of data(EOD or RT) and if they will provide+charge for it.
As it is their legal copyrighted merchandise, eg the listed stock quotes.

Most EOD data is provided for free though, as this is in any Exchange's advantage and
because from competition elsewhere, eg to keep up their 'robust' profile of being 'user friendly'.
It is ofcourse also to their moneyflow benifit, as it will attrack more and more of the
private customers in buying and selling shares, which transactions also get charged
by an on the average small fee.
It is also Equis' good right as a company, to keep a budget guard on their yearly
moneyflow as no companies will work "for free", having a workforce to pay and plenty of
other overhead costs(i.e research, material, rent, electricity etc.) to take in consideration.

I think it is also us users' good right to bring forward our complains in the speed of
the Downloader's conversion sessions. The only programs capable to currently out run
the Downloader in updating the Metastock Data Files bases, eg in speed, are the
non-Windows based programs, like the DOS(/UNIX?) converters.

Here my Data Provider's DOS program AutoDownload, only takes up 2min to update
656 securities/2 files.

03-02-99 23:34:34 Conversie D:\FIBBS\DOWNLOAD\19990203.FDC naar MetaStock [Intern]
03-02-99 23:35:33 Conversie 655 fondsen klaar   [ 11.1 p/sec]
03-02-99 23:35:33 Conversie D:\FIBBS\DOWNLOAD\19990203.FDX naar MetaStock [Intern]
03-02-99 23:35:33 Conversie 1 fondsen klaar     [ 6.4 p/sec]

So the "time" problems we are currently faced with while converting using the Downloader, are
due to:
1.-the Windows old FAT16 and memory controls environment that are not so very well optimised
     and also based on the too old DOS memory structure.
2.-the Downloader also being run in this pover managed Windows environment
3.-that besides updating and writing to the MS Data Files Base, the Downloader also writes at
    the same time(multy tasking) to the spare "recovery" files the data to disk files and hanging
    on to it, until you shut down the program.
4.-that possibly the data is double or even triple "converted/written&converted/written" per each
    security/record/function/indicator.

With the -due to be released this year- exciting New Windows 2000 environment coming up, eg
the NT WorkStation5.1 spin off, we will all "eventualy automaticaly" change over to the far better
memory and writing to disk managed NTSF - the NT File System, (the New Technology
NeT work File System, the Windows NT environment and this indeed truely to bypasses all of the
ancient DOS's Memory and File Allocation Table(FAT) writing to disk file structures).
In the mean time we will have to do it with the FAT32 environment of Windows98, which in itselve
is a big improvement over the FAT16.

So if we would like to know more "about our future using the Dowloader, the Metastock Explorer
and System Tester", then we should also have test-data from current NT4+ or NT5beta users,
users that also convert update scan using the Windows95/98 MS-Downloader and Metastocks'
Explorer and System Tester, but now in the NT program.

Regards,
Ton Maas
ms-irb@xxxxxx