Re: TS2000i vs. MSPro Data Vendors

-----Original Message-----
From: John Manasco <jmanasco@xxxxxxxxx>
To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, January 20, 1999 08:36 PM
Subject: Re: TS2000i vs. MSPro Data Vendors

>Which vendor would you choose?
>
>John Manasco

John,

That's a good question.  I guess my question was borne more out of
frustration than anything.  All I've ever heard about real time data feeds
for the likes of Trade Station and MetaStock is a feed in which one's
computer must be kept operating at all times to receive ticks.  Computer
locks up when you're asleep or out or the power goes off in a storm and
you're out of business for that time.  Special measures must be taken to
regain the lost ticks.  Should you want to start following something you
have to start building a history.  At least that's the idea I get from
services like BMI, etc.

I use PC Quote presently although I'm not really satisfied.  Too many bad
ticks not taken care of.  Plus their unconsionable habit of combining usless
night data with daytime data on some markets like ags and NY markets.  That
data just screws up the indicators that I use making them nearly useless.
When asked why they do it with some and not others (I wouldn't mind being
able to combine data with something like the Yen, which always has wild
swings at night, they just say "That's the way we get our data, take it or
leave it".  So until something better comes along...

But my ideal set-up would be similar in nature in which I could start up MS
Pro, log into some data feeds website or by satelite load any symbol of any
stock or future and automatically receive a few days of tick data and a
month or two of data in 5 min. increments.  After it loads the data it
automatically keeps on updating it tick by tick in real time for as long as
wanted.  Not following it anymore?  Delete the symbol.  Decide to follow it
again a day or two later, simply bang in the symbol, seamlessly and
automatically.  Of course I'd like the option of storing the data on my hard
drive.

PC Quote does all this, but I'm forced to use their software and it's really
lame by MS standards.

Anyway, there's my long answer to  your short question.

Regards,

Bill N.
Milwaukee, WI  USA