From: Stephen Chooi [mailto:stephen.chooi@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 1999 14:30 PM
To: support@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: DL 6.52 differences

Hi Equis Support,

With the previous version of Downloader 6.5 it took just about 15
minutes for an ASCII conversion and update to Metastock data files. I
was pleasantly surprised when your new upgrade was uploaded early to
cure some of the bugs from running in Win98. Then I found that with
the same settings as in DL 6.5, the new DL 6.52 took a painstaking
wait of an hour for the ASCII conversion. I then found further
differences as noted below:

a) DL 6.5 would create another folder for a new file if the files in
that folder exceeded a certain number ie 250 presumably('Create new
files' checked for old and new DLs). For example if a new stock
called Charlie appears in my ASCII data file, a new folder named C1
would be created if the no. of files under folder C was exceeded. To
my horror I found that all the files under the 2nd folders A1, B1 C1
etc were not updated with DL 6.52. Only the 1st folder files were
updated ie A, B, C and new files with the same symbols as in the 2nd
folders were replicated in the 1st folders with just that day's
update data. Could that explained the slowdown in speed?
b) I have created another folder eg My Portfolio where I have moved
several files from other folders into this folder for which I could
do my exploration, studies. DL 6.5 would happily update the files in
'My Portfolio' even though the names start with different alphabets
and with the 'Create new files' still checked. DL 6.52 merrily
created and replicated these same files in other folders with just a
single day's data and ignored the files in 'My Portfolio'.
At the end of the day my data files were in a confused state.
Fortunately I had a backup of the data files but unfortunatly it was
3 weeks old. If anyone has landed himself or herself  with this
hiccup during file conversion, I offer a temporary solution.

 Restore only backup data files created with DL 6.5. Otherwise
manually update and delete replicated files to its former pristine
condition.
 Install only Dl 6.5 from the CD rom into another directory. Copy
Conrept.dta and Dlwin.gid files from the new DL 6.52 folder into the
DL 6.5 folder. Use DL 6.5 until you're sure DL 6.52 does its job
accordingly.

A few questions to be answered..
1) Why was a) not documented in the downloader release file.. then
all files from the 2nd folders could be moved to the 1st eliminating
the file numbers' limitation and replication.
2) 'Create new files' can be unchecked but will the files in 'My
Portfolio' be updated and what do I do if a new symbol appears among
the thousands in my daily ASCII file and no announcement was made.
3) When will a 2nd patch to eliminate the bugs from the 1st patch of
DL be ready?

Regards
S. Chooi