off topic : virusscan problem with equis/data

Hi all,
I have installed McAfee VirusScan Classic 1998 about 15 days ago and I
have the following problem :
When scanning directory c:\equis\data  Virusscan "stops" really
scanning, no hard drive activity, no answer when clicking on "stop" or
closing the programm.  I have to <control>+<Alt>+<delete> + wait 5
seconds, then my computer says "Virusscan is not responding any more",
and then I have to choose stop.
This occurs only with this directory.
options used : all files, compressed files and average heuristic without
automatic deleting
I haven't any answers from McAfee.

Thanks for your comments.

Augustin Bataille