Attached Files and Browser Download Limit

  • To: anthmaas@xxxxxx
  • Subject: Attached Files and Browser Download Limit
  • From: Daniel Martinez <DanM@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 23:46:51 -0400 (EDT)

MetaStock Users:
There is a problem I noticed today while using this ListServ I think you should be aware of.  If you set
your Netscape, and probably IE, email client "not to download any message larger than" a certain size and
someone on the list sends a large chart, you will only receive a "preview" of that email.  You will only
receive the full email, with the chart, after you specifically download that email.  If you do not
download the full email with the chart, it will stay in your ISP's email server.  This applies only to
regular ISP's and not online services such as AOL.  How long that email stays in your server space is up
to your ISP.  However, you should know most ISP's place a limit as to how much space you are allowed.
Some ISP's may not have any time limit as to how long an email stays in your server space.  If you
continue to get large emails which you do not download, eventually your server space may fill up and you
will not receive any new email.

There are 2 ways to solve this problem.  The first and easiest is to remove your email download limit.
The other is to get an email checker.  There are several free ones at
http://on134th.com/freeware/Mail_Utilities.htm .  SpamEater 2.20 is free.  Cyber-Info E-Mail Notify costs
$20 (it is no longer free).  Both allow you to preview and delete email directly in your ISP server space.

I have a limit of 4,000KB and had 72KB in one email which was over my download limit.  The only way to
find out what's in your ISP email server space is to log-on to their email web site, which most of you
probably don't know how to use, or use one of the above programs.

Daniel Martinez