RE: Metastock,W98 & mouses

  • To: <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Metastock,W98 & mouses
  • From: "Aongus Flood" <aflood@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 00:42:01 -0400 (EDT)

Ed,

It "smells" like an interrupt(IRQ) conflict to me.  You are a victim of the
Plug and Pray technology bugs.

My guess is that Win98 turned on automatic IRQ assignment in the BIOS during
installation.   This usually is harmless, but with some hardware, problems
occur as conflicts are not resolved or recognized.   Since I am not a
Win95/98 user, I am working from memory here, so things get a little cloudy.
But in the control panel area, one of the applets, I think "System", will
report  which IRQs are being used with what.  Make a note of these.

There used to be a program on the original Win95 CD called MSD.EXE.  Create
a bootable floppy disk and copy this puppy onto it.  Boot you system with
the floppy.  (Hopefully you do not have drive compression enabled as that
may complicate issues)  Run the MSD.EXE program.  Fish about in the program
and make a note of the list of IRQs being used as it sees them.  Typically,
the mouse will use IRQ 3 or 4.

Now compare your two lists.  Watch out for older Sound Blaster cards...  To
fix an identified conflict of this nature go into the BIOS utility setup
program.  Generally, there is a way to stop the offending IRQ from being
assigned on-the-fly as the boot process proceeds.

Hope this helps,
Aongus