Re: Quotemonster

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, CMA wrote:

> Thanks to Jim Michael for what may be the long-soughtsolution to
> daily free download of data for MSPRO.
>   But a couple of questions about Quotemonster.   Have you used it?

Due to a little variation in how the data is formatted and the objective,
there are really two applications - QM Daily and QM Historical. For your
purpose you are referring to the Daily app, or to a previously written
but as yet unpublised QM RealTime. I use the historical and daily apps daily.

>    Is there any website with free EOD date with whichQuotemonsterworks?

Yes, the default with the daily app is Yahoo. An untested assumption is
that the data presented at the end of the day is reasonably close to the
'official' EOD numbers. No study has been made comparing these numbers or
EOD historical data from the historical default site with any other data
sources. If anyone does a test I would like to know of the results.

>    HOw much Perl or other programming do you have toknow to set it up?

Zero, zip, nada :-) You should be able to create a ticker list (or use
the default S&P 100 list) and start downloading quotes after you install
the perl interpreter (this should mean downloading  the perl binary
distribution from perl.com, decompressing and running install.bat). See the
readme.now file and the script header for further info. Some other perl
scripts for retrieving data from the Internet will be available so it
would be a good idea to get Perl and install it.

HTH. HAND.

Cheers,

Jim