Re: Fw: Deflation

John,

It might be a rush to something warm and fuzzy. But you know what they say, it
doesn't matter what you or I think, as long as there is a big enough crowd that
thinks otherwise.

I wish I would of studied more econ in times like these. I did here on the news
that the Fed helped to facilitate the bailout (per say) of Long Term Capital
Management because the Fed thought that US depositors would be effected if the
hedge fund failed. (I believe LTMC had 1.4 trillion under management.) To me
this tells me that the problems that have been effecting the world economy as of
late are beginning to knock on our door here in the USA. And from Greenspan's
comments, from his speech the other day, I suspect that what ever is knocking
(at the door of the USA) is not small in size.

One last thing, knowing some economics and enough mathematics I will suggest
that the world economy could get pretty ugly before it is over. The problem lies
in divergence. One very simple way to explain it is that all economies prices
change in a non-linear fashion. But all accounting methods are linear. Hence,
some where down the road when you start to add things up, the books don't
balance. From time to time countries make adjustment by devaluing their
currencies, adjusting their capital expenditures, etc. But now we are beyond
these mechanisms for making adjustments on the books. In a nutshell, Greenspan
and the Fed can lower interest rates as much as they want and it won't do
anything. Why? Changes in interest rates effect the economy slowly. i.e., the
results take 6 months to a year before the changes are felt. What is knocking at
the door of the USA is of unknown size and is moving at a much faster rate than
what any change in interest rates could subdue. And one problem to keep in mind,
if the fed moves too fast to cut rates they could add to the problem.

Harley