Hurricane Georges

Hello all

Well its nice to be back. I've been offline now for 10 days because of
Hurricane Georges and will only be online sporadically for the next week
or so.

Tuesday a week ago we were given mandatory evacuation orders. Grabbed
the cat, my backups, my wife took her system unit, old pictures and a
weeks worth of clothes and headed for Orlando. We waited for four days
while Georges eye went over Key West and on toward Mississippi.

Returned Sunday. No electricity. Phones sporadic and noisy. We now live
in a war zone. We have water but the lines were broken and the pressure
dropped so we have to boil it. Roadblocks going in and out of town. We
have to show identification to come back on the island.

Our house suffered only cosmetic damage but lots of limbs in the yard.
No restaurants open. Grocery store opened Monday morning and had a
truckload of ice. The line was several blocks long so we skipped it.
Found a restaurant with generator power and ate there.

Salvation army and several other relief orginazations shipped 80000
pounds of ice down here. Unfortunately it was contaminated with fecal
matter. Half the island has the trots now.

Our power was restored Tuesday but has been on and off. Key West can
only generate 60% of our power needs. The rest comes from Miami and the
tieline was broken in 57 places. May be up to three weeks before it's
fixed. We'll have rolling blackouts until then.

My ISP got power this morning. I downloaded 500+ messages. This is no
place for day trading.

We have a 9:00 pm curfew until power is restored. All bars close at
9:00. Bad Bad.

I'll be offline for the next week or so until power is fully restored.
Glad I'm not a daytrader.

John