Re: "The Seduction of a President"

In a message dated 9/14/98 7:17:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time, VonHef@xxxxxxxxxx
writes:

> This is not a pure Democracy, (where a simple majority rules), but
>  it is a Democratic Republic. Thank God the founders of our nation
>  had the for-sight to set this form of Government up! Public opinion
>  can be swayed and people can be misled, but it is the job of the
>  Congress (ALL  branches) to uphold the law.......regardless of
>  public opinion. A strong case can be made that the law has been
>  broken.

Yes, and now that you've conveniently disposed of public opinion with that
expedient view of our nation's "democracy," thank God for the Constitution,
which requires a two-thirds majority in the Senate to impeach a president
elected by the people. And thank God for minority parties. And for that swayed
and misled mass of voters that can remind Congressmen of the true meaning of
democracy every couple of years.

Brooke