Re: How debug these things?

Richard
Thanks for replying again. I gotcha on the experts. I was beginning to think
there was some limitation like that. So basically custom indicators can only
use a subset of the functions. Thanks. I was hoping to use writeval and
writeif as debugging tools. It ain't fair <g>. I wonder if you could do the
development as an expert remove the writeifs... and port it over to system
test. Probably not worth it. I haven't even started to look at experts yet.

Regarding the 'Murphy' concepts. I kind of forget which concept we're talking
about so I'll reference all 3. Let me go look it up. Hold on a sec, the book
is upstairs ..... OK Got it.

The book is 'Technical Analysis of the Futures Markets' by John J Murphy.
Great book IMHO.

Concept 1 - Detrending - in the chapter on Time Cycles beginning on page 442.
I think you understand the detrending concept so I won't explain it here. I
may have botched the idea a bit, since I was planning on subtracting the MA
from the previous MA. I'll have to think on that a bit. I think you may have
said that it should be subtract MA from close. I'm still not sure how to shift
the MA from within an indicator. Any ideas on that? I know I can use DPO but
I'm still curious if there is a way.

Concept 2 - 'The Weekly Rule' [aka Weekly Price Channel] - in the chapter on
Moving Averages beginning on page 267. Basically a mechanical system:
	1. Cover shorts and buy long when prices exceed the highs of the 4 preceding
weeks [or some multiple of 4 weeks - he suggests 2 weeks as a good
possibility].
	2. Liquidate longs and sell short when prices fall below the lows of the 4
preceding weeks [ditto on the multiple as in 1 above].
I haven't figured out how to set that one up yet. Next chance I get I'm going
to try out the HHV.... functions.

Concept 3 - exit position if trade goes against you 3 days in a row. That was
based on a reference to time delays as a filter for single MAs. It was
referenced in the book for getting in though not getting out. I sort of
adapted that to exiting, so I could have some easy to set up exit criteria for
the system test [which will be easy now that you helped me out with Ref
thanks]. It is referenced as filter #4 on page 243.

Richard thanks again for all your help.

Chris