Re: Exit strategies

John,
A technique I quite like for exiting trades (ie taking profits and as a
stop loss) was first introduced to me in a book by Daryl Guppy - "Share
Trading -An Approach To Buying And Selling" (1997).
The COUNTBACK LINE was adapted by Daryl from Stowell's 3-Bar Nett Line,
which is a moving support or resistance line recalculated daily.
Apparently, Stowell found temporary support or resistance three bars
back from todays price.
For example, in an uptrend the CBL trails below todays price - 3 bars
back. If the price closes below the CBL it signals a possible sell and
should be monitored the next morning for the opening price. To keep you
out of whipsaws, if the price opens above the CBL hold on but if it
opens below the CBL, close out. It is recommended to be used in tandem
with P&F charts and trendlines.
It' easy to monitor each day...if the price has moved up you simply move
the CBL up to the next bar accordingly so you are close to the action.
The CBL can also be used as an entry technique.
If you want the rules and an example let me know.

Ian Burgoyne, Melbourne