Re: Weekly Pick (long)

<< Beta is a technical indicator of issue volatility. If the issue is about as
 volatile as the market average, Beta = 1. If the issue is one and a half
 times as volatile, Beta = 1.5, twice as volatile, Beta = 2, etc.. If the
 issue is less volatile then the market, Beta is less than 1. An issue half
 as volatile as the market average would have a Beta of .5.

Richard,

My understanding of Beta is the same as yours is with an extension.  Stocks
with betas below zero move in a direction opposite to the "market".  For
example, a stock with a beta of -1 would move proportionally exactly as much
as the market in the opposite direction.  A stock with a beta of -0.5 would
move half as much in the opposite direction.  My research showed that only
about 6 percent of the stocks in my database had betas below zero which would
indicate they move in a direction opposing the "market".

I am not sure what index my database uses to represent the "market".  The S&P
500 is frequently used, but, any index could be selected.

But then again, if I am so smart, what the heck am I doing in Pocatello Idaho.

Dan

P.S.  Bob, sorry about that crack about there being nothing new in the market.
I edited it out, but, it appears I sent out a message with it anyway.  It was
uncalled for and dragged down the level of discussion.  Sorry.