Re: Using Downloader/ASCII files to update stockbrowser

Right, well, let's start with downloading all US equities. You have to have
a basic understanding of how the StockBrowser works for this. All this
program does is take information off publicly available (and known!) pages.
So for starters, there must be pages showing this data in one way or the
other. If there are, and Ivo van Thiel (the author of the progam) has found
it, well, he's most likely added it to the StockBrowser (if he hasn't, you
can add it yourself. Read the included Word file with explanation on how to
do this). For a list of all the pre-defined sites, take a look under the
tab 'Download groups'. The leftmost column shows all the sites that
StockBrowser automatically recognises. Then look in the second column. In
here, you see the 'Download groups' that are predefined: look at the group
'US update' for example by clicking on it. The right column now fills with
the Web pages that are scanned when downloading this group. If you see a
source on the left and want it to be included in the download group, select
the source on the left, the download group in the middle, and click on the
'Add source' button. To actually download the selected group, make your
internet connection, select the desired group ('US update' in this example)
by selecting it in the combobox next to the 'Group update' button at the
top of the screen. You can also add your own groups with any of the sources
you see in the leftmost column.
Chances are, you've been downloading a lot of US equities without actually
knowing it. Check this by selecting the 'Stock' tab, click open the
combobox 'Category:' and selecting 'USA'. The names you see in this
combobox are simply different views on all the stocks the StockBrowser
knows. You can also select the '[All]' category in this combobox; don't
enter any filter (and pressing 'OK'), and you'll see ALL the stocks,
options, futures, warrants etc. the StockBrowser knows. Sometimes you may
not be sure what the ticker symbol (or name) is for a particular equity.
Let's say you're looking for Minnesota Mining and aren't sure whether
StockBrowser knows of it yet. Press the 'Find Stock' button and enter
'minnesota' (+ press OK). You'll then see it appear.
I'll leave it at this for now, as you might have found what you were
looking for. If not, you can also mail me privately on m.jonker@xxxxxxxxxx
Hope I helped you. Cheers, Mark.

mchristo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 08/18/98 09:06:14 PM

Please respond to metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx