Re: Shifted Mov. Avgs.

At 09:03 PM 8/17/98 -0500, you wrote:
>What do they do? Slows the MA down just a bit, seems to eliminate the
>whipsaws. I am using 8 EMA with a 7 shift frequently now. The MA like this
>is still fast but backs off just a little.
>
>For those programs that will plot beyond the last date, you also have the
>exit set out for you. 7 days ahead in above example.
>
>Richard Estes

Richard, I think there's a conflict between speed and whipsaw. The EMA
should experience more whipsaw than the SMA, right (because it more
closely tracks price)? I use a displaced MA as you do, but chose a simple
rather than exponential because of (my perceived) difference in the
whipsaw between the SMA and EMA.

I've not looked at this aspect in a while, so might be wrong on this,
it seems to be one of those assumed facts (in my mind) now.

-Neal.

---
DiNapoli Fibonacci techniques -
http://www.fibtrader.com