Re: ASCII files for Downloader

At 03:54 PM 8/16/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Thanks to Betsy, Jim Michael, Zvi and others for ideas.
>   Betsy: problem is 3) " a few easily written macros."
>  Not so easy.
>  Jim Michael: interesting idea with that PERL program, though unclear
>how you use it with ASCII file and Downloader.
>  Re Stockbrowser: same problem as before--instructions are in Dutch.
>
>  When and if this problem can be solved, I will post; I am still
>looking for a solution: a simple program which can be told the format
>of the ASCII data file, the format of the ASCII file Downloader needs,
>and which will do the conversion.  MSPRO should work on this problem,
>since getting end-of-day data in MSPRO is so basic.

The site I use for futures data is

http://www.fdataprocess.com/eod.html

This site takes free EOD files and converts to multiple formats.
Even if you only want stock files, try the site so you can see how the data
should look.

	Then, see the message on this subject from Zvi, paying close attention to
the instructions about the "Transverse destination folders" checkbox.
(Thanks Zvi!) . I started with a data file about 30 days old, and then
added each day after. Now I have 30 days history on almost 500 contract
symbols in Metastock, which can be updated in a few minutes each day. It
seems simple to me now, but I was baffled when I started. So if I missed
anything don't hesitate to contact me.

	BTW the Data process page offers optional data providers, I think
futuresguide.com is the cleanest and most complete.

Alan