Re: Weekly Pick

Rick,
     That's a good question since I do believe in limited
diversification and money management.  In fact, setting the stop at
that level violates two of my general guidelines in that I like the
reward/risk to be better then 3 to 1 and I like the initial position
risk to be less then 8%.  Since my positions are normally 10 to 20% of
my portfolio, that gives me a 0.8 to 1.6% portfolio risk per position,
but these are just general guidelines.  I do have a firm rule of never
risking more then 2% of my portfolio on any single position and I'm
well within that rule.
     The answer, which probably isn't a very good one, is that I just
won't set percentage stops.  I've read all the books on
portfolio/money management and setting stops, but pure percentage
stops just never made good sense to me.  I firmly believe that stops
should be set based on some valid technical barrier or condition such
as a congestion area or outside the boundary of a trend channel.  In
this case, to me, there just wasn't a valid place to set a stop any
closer then 96 3/4.  I will move it up under the intermediate term
channel as soon as I can and will switch to a Short Term Up Trend
Channel (STUTC) just as soon as I have enough data for a STUTC that
looks valid to me.  In the meantime, I'll just accept the 13.5%
position risk.  I did compensate somewhat by setting my position size
to 10% of my portfolio which limits my portfolio risk to
((111.875-96.75/111.875)*.1 or 1.35%.
     Hope that makes sense <G>.

Jim