Re: Optimizing

I'm escaping to the Japan Alps for a summer respite so I won't be able to
follow up for a few days. Briefly....

A system that generates wildly different results when a parameter is set at
8 or 10, for example, will not work in the real world. The system is too
finicky about its inputs. Parameters close together should generate similar
results.

Trade dependency occurs when the results of a trade are influenced by the
previous trade(s). You discover that 3 consecutive losses are always
followed by 2 consecutive wins for example. This is exploitable. A
statistical measure called the Runs Test can be used to find this out.

You "de-optimize" over your price history just like I described. You want
your system to work going forward, not backward. If a system is in fact
robust it will prove itself profitable on a forward testing basis. Forward
testing involves optimizing your system over a certain time segment, then
taking these optimal parameters and trading/testing them in the next period
of time to see how the system does. The idea is to mimic the real life
process of optimizing, finding the optimal parameters, and trading them into
the "future." When you've gone through the whole price history, your total
results from the trading/testing periods indicates how you would have done
in "real life." The parameter you end up with is your peak point.

Now, if you plot your test results with parameter values along the X axis
and trade returns along the Y, what you theoretically have is a smooth
domed-shaped curve. Of course its not really the case because in reality you
have a series of spurious peaks and valleys, but nevertheless, its overall
shape is that of a rough curve. Since parameters close together should give
similar results, identifying the peak gives you a "neighborhood" to
consider. Use one from this "neighborhood" that gives lower performance than
the parameters immediately before and  after it. The bottom of a 'V'  formed
between the highest and another nearby peak if you can imagine it. You don't
want the highest peak parameter because if performances are going to tend
toward each other then you are better off trading the parameter whose
results may tend higher, rather than lower. This is due to a phenomena
called entropy.

If your system can pass thru this routine, and only a very few due, then
you've got a good system that works over a variety of market conditions.
There will be no need to "re-optimize." FYI, of the 232 of systems I've
tested, only 6 made it thru.

Re-optimization sounds like a good idea but it's not. I've mentioned this
recently, but the statistical distribution of price changes or returns is
not "Normal" or stationary. It floats around and changes shape, hence all
robust systems go through down periods that are in no way positively
affected by changes in parameter values. Conditions haven't changed, the
system has just gotten temporarily out-of-sync with prices. Re-optimization
is akin to a dog chasing its tail. Avoid systems that require it.

sayonara,
Rick