Re: Metastock- conversation with Alan McNichol

"I believe he said that true multiple security system testing means testing
across the whole portfolio and optimizing the entire portfolio as well as
individual securities, ands that some programs like WOW [I have no
familiarity with WOW] don't really do this- they run something more like an
exploration after optimizing on one security.  Part of this process is also
the optimization of stops, and Equis wants this feature in the software then
first time around. "

Glad to see communications like this, but wonder Why he referred to the OT
view which every knowledgeable trader, I know who tried it, said it was
worthless. His model should be WOW's with the depth of reporting in MSWIN.
There is no optimization process in WOW's system test. Please don't mess up
what you have with failed OT model, Equis.

"Metastock philosophy is to beta test in-house or at
least to a tightly restricted group, and the release a first rate product
out of the box.  That is the ideal anyway."

In house? What are they trading? Get a power user  group to beta. You don't
let those with a built in  agenda for success test it. While they turn out a
fair first product, they have kept the elements present for years.

"He also pointed out that many innovations like 32 bit, Expert Advisor,
Metastock File Library, saving as HTML, and perhaps some others were the
result of an enormous amount of development effort and seem underappreciated
"

Wonder why? 32 bit: nearly a required aspect. Expert advisor: a great
innovation, but its power lies in programming the experts yourself - we get
colors bars that way. Yes I am afraid that the majority of users haven't
tapped the power. I failed to see value in the canned experts. Metastock
file library: What was that? the data CD? Html saving: messed that one up,
using JPEG files which are at least 3-10 times the size of a GIF file. Then
they failed to tell people clearly the they had to sent both files to the
net or e-mail. Now what programmer thought that a 300KB chart file was
appropriate, not a user. You want to spend a minute or two waiting for a
chart to appear. That is why anyone that uses the feature won't do it again.
I am not a programmer, but many have solved the tasks with minimal effort.
Maybe the old Patton type statement would be good here for your programmers:
"Don't tell me why it can't be done, do it!"

But the old data file management problem and muti-stock system tests remain
the same weaknesses they have always been. And no answer coming soon.

Richard Estes