Optimizing

John & Jan et al.

I been reading with interest your comments pro and con about optimizing.  My
interest in optimizing took hold a few months ago following some promising
system test results.  This testing produced some outstanding results but
could not be validated because one of the formulae contained the Zig Zag
formula which invalidated it because it uses 20/20 hindsight to filter out
fluctuations.

However, I've been thinking along the same lines as John, that frequently
re-optimized parameters logically should produce better results than any
specific standard parameters, including Fibs. . . . and of course they do
much better in system tests.

I'd like to see more discussion on optimization.  Has anyone done any
extensive testing and validation?  Is optimzation a significant factor in
anyone's successful trading system?  Is there something inherently invalid
with optimizing?

Comments anyone??

Roland