RE: Learning how to trade and paying people to divulge their "know-how"

  • To: <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Learning how to trade and paying people to divulge their "know-how"
  • From: "Guy Tann" <grtann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 23:39:45 -0700

<x-html><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>

</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=860102703-18071998><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=4>I
guess I was one of the lucky ones.&nbsp; I learned at my dad's knee.&nbsp;
Started at 14 years old and spent the first 2 years paper trading before he
would let me try my first 'for real' trade.&nbsp; I've seen him do some of the
dumbest and some of the smartest things I've ever seen.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=860102703-18071998><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
size=4></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=860102703-18071998><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=4>On the
dumb side, he took a position in world sugar.&nbsp; I think margin was $200 or
$300 a contract, to put it into perspective.&nbsp; He knew, fundamentally, that
there was too much of the stuff, so he shorted it.&nbsp; After it ran over
$180,000 against him, he rode it all the way back down and made a few bucks
profit.&nbsp; That was dumb.&nbsp; Take your loss and get out.&nbsp; Don't get
so bullheaded that you can fight the trend.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=860102703-18071998><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
size=4></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=860102703-18071998><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=4>But
the real dumb thing was that he had a buy signal on his technical system.&nbsp;
Oh yes, if he would have reversed (and taken a very small loss), he could have
ridden the move all the way up and reversed when he got his technical sell
signal.&nbsp; He would have made over $250,000 on the trade had he followed his
system.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=860102703-18071998><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
size=4></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=860102703-18071998><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=4>Then
there were the times he took delivery of various 'stuff'.&nbsp; I remember my
mom worrying where she was going to put the 40,000 dz. frozen eggs he just took
delivery of.&nbsp; Or the time he took physical delivery of 2,000 tons of zinc
and the stuff damaged the floor of our warehouse (6 feet of reinforced
concrete).&nbsp; But he more than made enough to fix the floor, and our die
casting plant had zinc when there was a world wide shortage
:-).</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=860102703-18071998><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
size=4></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=860102703-18071998><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=4>He's
89 now and still working on technical trading systems.&nbsp; Got another one
from him this week to review and test out.&nbsp; It's sort of nice having him
around.&nbsp; My brother and I still talk to him weekly and e-mail
daily.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=860102703-18071998><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
size=4></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=860102703-18071998><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial
size=4></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
    <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader><FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B>
    owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]<B>On
    Behalf Of</B> Essan Soobratty<BR><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, July 16, 1998 7:38
    PM<BR><B>To:</B> metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR><B>Cc:</B>
    realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: Learning how to trade and
    paying people to divulge their &quot;knowhow&quot;<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>I
    left school barely before reaching 18.&nbsp; My first job on a trading desk
    was fetching coffees for the other traders and doing their general grunt
    work.&nbsp; There was one guy who eventually became my mentor and gave me
    some valuable real life lessons treated my like shit for over a year.&nbsp;
    Nobody sat me on their knee and read me the abc of trading.&nbsp; Nobody
    taught me what a futures contract was.&nbsp; Nobody taught me the difference
    between a market and limit order and slippage in a fast market.&nbsp; Not
    because they didn't want to - it was the way they learnt and besides on a
    bank trading desk, TRADER's DON'T HAVE TIME TO TEACH.&nbsp; (Think about
    this statement when a &quot;trader&quot; offers to spend 5 full days
    lecturing or teaching privately....). Everything I learnt while on the
    steepest bit of that damned learning curve was through watching and asking
    questions (at the right time - try asking a trader a question just after an
    employment figure.....you're likely to get a half chewed bit of bigmac spat
    unintentionally in your direction..... I am speaking from experience here!).

    <P>I lived, eat, breathed and slept markets for 2 years (with only 3 days of
    vacation &amp; 2 of sick leave) before I was given full responsibility for a
    trading book.&nbsp; During my time of working for a bank I generally arrived
    at my desk at 6:30am and usually did not leave until after 7pm (I was in
    London so I basically arrived at around the time Tokyo was winding down and
    stayed until NY was close to going home).&nbsp;&nbsp; During my 2yrs of
    &quot;tuition&quot; I had 10-15 traders around me from whom I absorbed as
    much info as I could; some of whom had been trading for 10+ years.
    <P>I am not knocking a formal education - don't get me wrong.&nbsp; I wish I
    had gone to University and stuff.&nbsp; What I am saying is that learning
    how to trade effectively is a real life experience which can only be taught
    through experience itself.&nbsp;&nbsp; That's why I am against approaches
    like paper trading for beginners- it just instills a false sense of
    security, emphasises reward and downplays risk and losses and the negative
    effect losses can have on the psyche and hence on future trades.&nbsp; You
    can paper trade, but only to test new strategies while trading for
    real.<I></I>
    <P>Think about when you learnt to drive a car.&nbsp; You probably watched a
    parent drive for years before seeking instruction.&nbsp; Then you listened
    to the instruction and then you got behind the wheel <I>with the instructor
    at your side</I>. You only went out on your own when you were competant
    enought to drive by yourself (and of course had your license).
    <P>You must be realistic when trying to run up that learning curve. Don't
    believe so called guru's if they tell you your performance will be improved
    by following his/her methods.
    <P>I guess if you are unable to adopt either of the 2 approaches I outlined
    in my earlier posting then what I would recommend for a beginner is to read
    as much as you can.&nbsp; Not about &quot;trading&quot; per se but about
    markets in general.&nbsp; Don't go out and buy a book on how to predict
    future turning points in markets or about fractals&nbsp; Get a good book on
    laymans economics.&nbsp; Read Market Wizards.&nbsp; Read interviews with the
    &quot;big traders&quot;.&nbsp; Read about the fixed income markets.&nbsp;
    Read about currencies.&nbsp; Read about derivative pricing.&nbsp; Read the
    &quot;classical texts&quot; such as Reminicences (sp?).&nbsp; Read
    Niederhoffers book (even though he went bust, his book is full of
    wisdom).&nbsp; And if you want to learn how to control losses - read a good
    book of gambling.&nbsp; Learn to play poker.&nbsp; Read about portfolio
    management.&nbsp; If you want to learn about technical analysis - get some
    of the oldest books you can find - forget those on the bestseller
    list.&nbsp; The best traders around at the moment have been trading for
    many, many years - they didn't have anywhere near the resources that are
    available now and yet they are still the best.&nbsp; Markets do not change -
    people do as do their perceptions.
    <P>Good learning to all.
    <P>E. <BR>&nbsp;
    <P>Lionel Issen wrote:
    <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE = CITE>There have been relatively very few self made
        millionaires with a college <BR>education.&nbsp; Neither Michael Dell
        nor Bill Gates have college degrees.
        <P>Lionel Issen
        <P>-----Original Message----- <BR>From: Richard Estes
        &lt;rtestes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt; <BR>To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        &lt;metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;; <BR>realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        &lt;realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt; <BR>Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998
        1:22 PM <BR>Subject: Re: Learning how to trade and paying people to
        divulge their <BR>&quot;knowhow&quot;
        <P>&gt; <BR>&gt;You sound like the type that came out of the womb
        trading. There sure <BR>aren't <BR>&gt;many of those around. <BR>&gt;
        <BR>&gt;Richard Estes <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;-----Original
        Message----- <BR>&gt;From: Essan Soobratty &lt;trader@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;
        <BR>&gt;To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        &lt;realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;; <BR>&gt;metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        &lt;metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt; <BR>&gt;Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998
        12:18 PM <BR>&gt;Subject: Learning how to trade and paying people to
        divulge their &quot;knowhow&quot; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt;It
        amazes me how many people once they have &quot;decided&quot; that they
        want to <BR>&gt;&gt;trade will then fork out many $$ in an attempt to
        learn various <BR>&gt;&gt;techniques. <BR>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
        <BR>&gt;</P></BLOCKQUOTE>&nbsp; </BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
</x-html>From ???@??? Sat Jul 18 09:40:29 1998