Re: How do I identify fractals on my charts with MS 6.5

At 22:47 5-07-98 -0400, you wrote:
>    Can anyone help me with the proper syntax for entering up and down
fractals as an expert symbol?  I've been trying to use the REF and HHV
formulas in various combinations, ie: HHV( HIGH,3) >  HHV(HIGH ,5 )AND
HHV(HIGH,3) > HHV(HIGH,4) AND HHV(HIGH,3) > HHV(HIGH,2) AND HHV(HIGH,3) >
HHV(HIGH,1)..etc. These are entered as indicators I created called "fractal
up" and "fractal down". Then the indicators are referenced by the expert I
created in order to generate a symbol. What I'm trying to do is create a
symbol on my charts to place a symbol above the up or below the down fractal
bar.
>     The fractal bar is defined as the center bar where the two preceding
and two following bars have a lower high than the center bar for an up
fractal, and where the two preceding and two following bars have a higher
low than the center bar for a down fractal.
>    I've spent some serious time this past holiday weekend to my wifes'
dismay working on this and I am going in circles on it it seems. Any help
would be much appreciated. I feel like I'm just missing this thing by a
hair. Thanks for feeling my pain.

Rod Daniels

Hi Rod,

As far as I understand these fractals, you can only be sure whether it's a
fractal or not after the fact.

In your definition try: H<refH,-1 and H<refH,-2 and refH,-2 > refH,-3 and
refH,-2 > refH,-4  Vice versa for the downfractal.

Wishing you success,

Rgds,

Frans