2000+ stocks of the ASX market

Ton, the Oz stock market is represented by the All Ordinaries Index (AOI)
for the Australian Stock Exchange (www.asx.com.au) and has a futures
equivalent called the Share Price Index (SPI) run on the Sydney Futures
Exchange (www.sfe.com.au). Both good sources of reference info and daily
data.

For 10 min delayed data, the Salamon's Smth Barney web site
(www.ssmb.com.au/at_a_glance.html) is great for Indexes (and for the Aussie
dollar and a host of international indexes on delay).

As for which stocks, well the negative sentiment on Asia is all over the
market here, with few stocks in uptrends. Some exceptions are Telstra
(TLSCA) the OZ phone company and News Corp (NCP). There are plenty of
bargains due to stocks being oversold on asia, even if they don't have a
link (via sales) to that region, but until the market phsycology changes,
its still a bear run at the moment. BHP has ben running down from $20 to
$13 over that last 6-9months, but has finally announced a write off of
$3billion which may see things change. Qantas is still being impacted by
Asia, with 747's now being used domestically, due to lack of international
travellers. All the banks (ANZ, NAB, Commonwealth etc) have done sideways
of late due to the AUD falling and the "potential" for interest dates to be
bolstered to hold the currency. No change yet! Even the company I work for
(Orica - ORI, formally ICI) has had its shares fall from around $12-13 to
$9 on the basis of Asia, even though we only sell around 7% of sales to
that region. Many rate it as a good buy (strong Explosives sales worldwide
and a div yield of 5%+++) , but dare I say that given that I work there and
have shares in the company!. Many a poor sole bought China Constructions at
90c, then 80c, then 60c on the basis of the potential of China. Last time I
looked it was still heading down at 37cents. The Asian risk again.

The Australian and NZ currencies will never come together, too much pride
bvetween the countries. An asian dollar, well not talked about, but when
the Euro comes into being, we might see some discussion???

With the Oz dollar falling so much, I know that many of the resource
companies are now looking like bargains to the US and Candadian
investors/mutuals and corporations. Rumours often flow into the press, but
as yet, most resources stocks are still yet to bounce back up.

regards

Shane

anthmaas@xxxxxx on 26/06/98 18:39:15

Please respond to metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx