Re: Market timing and stops?

Hi Darryl,
As we all know exiting is muuuuch more difficult than buying. The reasons are
obvious:
- either you are (... or I am (I don't exclude myself for a moment here))
taking losses, but you can always delude yourself about a wrong decision as
long as you haven't actually sold the equitity
- or the issue doesn't perform; once again a mistake was made,
- or the equity is climbing and climbing, and greed or fear of heights makes
you get off too late.
So, developing a consistent selling system is maybe more important than a
buying system.
Apart from the obvious but all too often ignored old saws about money
management, I've had some not unpleasing results ;-7   with a combination of
Price Channels, Parabolic SAR, and Chande & Kroll's Volatility Based Stop.
Follows the formula for the StopATR (as I've christened it):
Long:=Input("Long/Short(1/0)",0,1,1);
LenATR:=Input("LenATR",2,50,10);
LenPeakC:=Input("LenPeakClose",5,100,10);
LenPeakS:=Input("LenPeakStop",5,100,20);
Factor:=Input("Factor",1,5,3);

MaAtr:=ATR(LenAtr);
HhvC:=If(Long,HHV(H,LenPeakC),LLV(L,LenPeakC));
TmpStop:=If(Long,HhvC-MaATR*Factor,HhvC+MaATR*Factor);
GetOut:=If(Long,HHV(TmpStop,LenPeakS),LLV(TmpStop,LenPeakS));
GetOut
You should fiddle around a bit with, oops I mean optimize, the variable
"Factor" until you're comfortable with it for your market. Chande & Kroll cite
1.5 for a tight stop, and 3 to 4 for a looser stop.

Hope this helps. Kind Regards & Happy Trading,
Jan Willem roberts