Re: Trading and taxes

Al....

Thank you for the kind words on my "wisdom."  I thought I did address the
post.  Taxes are a part of any investment decision....regardless of whether
they are short or long term.  However, taxes should not be the the over-riding
reason for making any investment decision.  Fundamentals, technical analysis,
your particular approach, etc. are primary factors in an investment decision.
Taxes are secondary, but never-the-less, a factor to be considered.  Failure
to sell a stock that has a radical change in fundamentals because one does not
want to pay the taxes on the profit, is plain stupid.  But the refusal to sell
a good stock with bright prospects because of tax considerations, might not
be.

With the different tax rates, a long term investor has another arrow in his
quiver because of his lower tax bite.  I might even say his odds of success
are somewhat enhanced (all investments being equal).  I will always contend
that a trader "generates income" while an investor "accumulates wealth."

My statement "trading is for fun and games....entertainment, so to speak"
stands.  Certainly I want to make a profit on each trade I position.  There is
not one of us who doesn't!!!!  What I am saying is that I have done extremely
well with an investment program that has been geared to long term growth yet I
have engaged in trading at the same time.  I trade because I want to "beat the
system"....everybody out there included.  I trade because I want to make
money, regardless of the taxes.  I trade because it is challenging, which I
find to be fun.  And fun is entertainment!!!!  But I would never, ever
consider trading with my "serious" money.  That I will always keep invested
long term.  Hell, I retired early because of that program and I am now having
fun trading....entertainment, so to speak.

Jerry